Want to do firmware update on Rock Space extender and don’t know how to do it? Don’t worry, this article will help you do it easily. Before we start doing the firmware update, let’s understand in what scenarios we have to do a firmware update and what exactly firmware update is?
What is Firmware?
Firmware is data that is stored on a computer or any other hardware device’s memory. In the case of an extender, this firmware data stores in an extender’s Read-Only Memory. The firmware provides instructions on how a device should operate. The end-user cannot change or delete the firmware and firmware data remain on the device whether it’s on or off.
What is Firmware Update?
A firmware update is a software program that is used to update the firmware on the extender. It is file that we can download and upload it on the extender. We can also download the file automatically. Rock Space gives you an option to download it automatically and upload it.
Firmware Update can improve the capabilities and can fix all the bugs that the user was facing previously.
Important Points Before Doing Firmware Update on Rock Space Extender
Here are few point that you need to consider before you do the firmware update:
- Your extender should be plugged into the power.
- Always use a wired connection from the computer to the extender for a stable connection.
- While updating the firmware, do not press any button or unplug your extender from the power. Make sure you do not remove the cable as well.
- While downloading the firmware file, make sure you download the correct file. Because if you download the wrong file and upload it on the extender. It can damage your extender.
Why we need to update firmware?
We need to update the firmware, when we face any performance related issues. Let’s suppose, our extender is not extending the signals too far. You are getting Red LED on signal light even it is close to the router. Every now and then, it shows you No Internet while connecting device to it.
In simple words, we need to update the firmware in order to fix the bugs and other performance issues.
Steps to follow to do a successful firmware update
It is very easy to do firmware update on rock space extender. Follow the steps below:
- First, of all, plug your extender into the power outlet.
- Connect an ethernet cable from the computer to the extender.
- Open the browser and type http://re.rockspace.local in the address bar.
- It will take you to the login screen of the Rock Space extender.
- Here, you can enter the login details if you have created them. Otherwise, the default is admin for both Username and Password.
- Once you are logged in, you can manage all the settings on your own.
- You need to look for the Firmware Update option, you will see it under Administrative settings.
- Click on the Firmware Update and click on check for updates.
- It will take some time to download the latest firmware available automatically.
- Finally, click on upload and it will take some time to apply changes to it.
- Do not unplug or press any button on it while updating the firmware.